Saturday, June 14, 2008

state of education

I was poking around on the internet searching for a phone number or two for a fellow coworker for a reference and found a website rating teachers Well, I had to see what they said about me! So I searched my name and found the following:

She's an English teacher who loves role playing and teaching. She listens to heavy mettle and will even show her favorite students videos of her screaming at concerts over MSN. But yet, is respectable

On the scale the website asked, I also received a 3 on easiness, a 5 on helpfulness and a 5 on clarity. (it's a 1 to 5 scale, 5 being the highest, same scores as Kevin Greene, honors teacher)

First of all, I must focus on spelling heavy "metal" correct in the classroom and second, well...I know I teach many things in my classroom: Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, The Crucible, Macbeth, etc....now my question. What does "but yet, is respectable" actually mean...Did they learn? Did I make it interesting so it was fun to learn? What does this mean!? And why don't survey websites ask names or email addresses? (I would love to know who penned this comment!) Now I curious....

2 comments:

Derende said...

Maybe this person meant that you HAVE heavy mettle! :)

I think the respectable thing ties to students seeing videos of you screaming at concerts (and I must ask why these videos are not on youtube) - I think the student means that you still have authority in the classroom. You know some teachers would totally lose their authority if screaming videos about them came out!

I think the site should add questions about whether the class was effective/interesting. Is there also a paper evaluation done by the students at the end of the year, and do you get to see those evaluations?

Heather said...

It is on Youtube...you cannot see me, but hear my scream right at the end of the song before the rest of the crowd joins in. It's my "barbaric yawp" I suppose! The song is interesting...the crowd acytually sings the majority of it (Hansi, the lead singer, actually sings more than usual here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SyRrTUQo1k

Usually I informally ask my students to evaluate what I've done and this year the students filled out a survey (took 4 days of library time when students needed the library, not happy on that)