First of all, I think I've updatd the videos on a previous post so you can see them now.
After returning a few weeks ago to Arizona sans Mike and Aly, and after watching a few episodes of the BBC "How clean is your house", I really caught the cleaning bug. I started with a few small projects like cleaning the hallway in front of Aly's room (usually covered in clothes) and her bathroom (there is actually a usable sink and floor now). After that, I began work on the storage area.
It took about half a day to pull out all the boxes. All were very dusty and some had mold on them. I then worked on pushing the insulation back in place (some was just hanging there) and covered it with what I could afford, thick brown paper. Considering the original covering was just cardboard, this seemed to fit in. After replacing this it began to warm up, so most of the items stayed in their boxes outside for a few days (a cool down was forecast for the following week).
Inside, I went through the kitchen and checked labels on cans and other foodstuffs, throwing out all expired product (if it was close, I kept it, but there were a few labeled "use by XXX 2003", no thanks!) I also went through the medicines we keep in the kitchen for the same check. I also cleaned the freezer and fridge (I usually do this weekly for food going bad, but this time I went through for jams and pickles, etc.) and cleaned all the shelves. I got rid of some things I knew I'd never eat and restacked things nicely. Much nicer!
Next project was our bedroom, namely my clothes. I was vicious as I went through them to see what I really needed. I have held on to many outfits for a while, but now I've gotten rid of them. I plan to donate 8 large trash bags filled of just my clothes (Mike and Aly will do the same shortly). I did keep some items for mementos and also kept t-shirts (will send these away and make a quilt with them to preserve the memory in a useful way). The closet is even cleaner than when we moved in.
With the temperature cooling down to the upper 90s/low 100s I headed back outside to tackle the storage area. I put up my small DVD player and used the FM transmitter through a radio so I could really crank up the noise. I watched the entire second season of "Deadliest Catch" twice during the project (talking about frozen waves and freezing temps I think helped). I also found an item at the store. It's a small bandana that you wrap around your neck. It's filled with a crystal that expands in water (i think it's the "buffalo snot" we used to use in the garden) and it keeps the back of your neck wet and "cool". I can put it in the fridge, but that cold doesn't last too long. With entertainment ready, I began the purge. One dumpster full and a small stack of kitchen items to donate, I cut the clutter by half. Unfortunately, we still have a lot of book clutter (which, btw, Mike says doesn't count as clutter/hording) but I did get rid of some old textbooks from college and some water damaged materials.
Back inside, I tacked our bedroom. Again, I was determined to have a clean room, and even reorganized it in the process. Entertainment ready (One season of Monk) and I was off and throwing away/recycling items again (Got rid of most of the stored magazines that filled up a lot of shelf space). After the initial clutter removal, I went and placed two to three crates of books that were on my bookshelves into storage and reorganized many of Mike's war-games to fit on the shelving. I can find the books I really want to read, added a space for library books, and even put up one of our wedding pictures in a frame we received on the wedding (both were in storage before). The only room left to do is Aly's...
All was clean when Mike arrived for our anniversary. I've been on his case about leaving shoes and cigarette cartons wherever with the "(honey,) what are you going to do with __________?" I know I'm not cleaning it up. We went to Joe's Crab Shack for the anniversary dinner and sat on the deck drinking cold soda and eating just appetizers (not that hungry, could've been the heat. It was 110 in the shade with some misters) Seemed reminiscent of our honeymoon in PEI with the seafood by the water. Very nice.
4 comments:
HA HA HAAAAA! You go about cleaning like I do! :) I am overdue for this kind of project at my house. But it feels sooooooo good when everything is in its place, doesn't it? did you also move furniture to clean under it? If not, you'd better brace yourself for what will come to light.
I also am saving my old iconic t-shirts for a quilt. It's only been 8 years or so since I started putting them aside so I really, really may get to starting this project. Any day now. Maybe.
And a note to those of you considering a project like this: the hardest part is the activation energy to get started. Once you get going, it drives itself!
A belated Happy Anniversary from us, Bobbi and Richard
Joe's Crab Shack . . . great choice.
Would either of you consider hiring out to do my house. Any time I propose a cleaning, all I get in return is a lot of grief. This house is in serious need of a de-stuffing.
As to disposing old foodstuffs, I'm using honey from a bottle without a bar code. No problem there as the worst honey will do is crystallize.
We were wondering what to do for a side to serve with a London broil yesterday when we remembered a pasta salad box in the pantry. Mom brought it up laughing -- its expiry date was 1999! Out it went.
Sure, we can help - but you'll recall when I did something similar but minor in the downstairs bedroom, I got the silent treatment for a whole day. So, we need to make sure that we have consensus.
If mom gives the OK, we can help out a lot (at least get things into "throw away" "donate" "store" "keep in room" piles). But you'll find expired food and Taco Bell coupons don't need to be kept, even for sentimental reasons.
Post a Comment