I was fine for the first two weeks of school (which began on July 31 for me and Aug 4 for students - yuck) and then that Saturday I noticed I had a sore throat. Went to Hastings and then practically fell apart. Fever, weak, dizzy. Somehow I managed to do my 4 hour shift the next day as well, but the rest of the day was miserable. I drank juice, ate soup and crackers. Doing dishes took two hours, not because there was a bunch (just over one sink full of glasses and bowls) but because I had no energy and had to keep lying down until I felt well enough to try it again. At least the Olympics were entertaining to watch while I rested.
By Monday I was no better and Aly was beginning to show symptoms. We had the next two days off for sick days and upon returning to school on Wednesday, I had developed a deep cough (which I haven't really had since quitting smoking - now I really remember why I quit!) and no voice. Ditto on Thursday. Finally on Friday, I found I had some energy and was feeling better.
Did I mention I'm behind on my grading? Oi!
Aly and I finally returned to Cross Country practice this week. We met a local man and wife who have been training some of the others. He's Army (set to be deployed in October) and hilarious. He has a local running club called the "desert juggernauts" that meets every day if you want to do it, so I'm going to check it out. Perhaps if I can find a running partner, getting back into shape will be easier. I definitely feel the excess 25-30 pounds I'm carrying. Technically my BMI is in the normal range, but it is so much easier to move when it is closer to 25 than to 30! I also need to do some core work and get my back, abs and arms into shape, as this is one of my weakest areas and doesn't help my running.
Well…back at practice, Aly is trying hard to run more consistently. I give her a lot of credit for keeping with it, especially since she’s “always last” That’s a good mental battle to win and she’s going to have the best improvement by the end of the season, I’m sure. One of the interesting things we did after practice last night was cold water therapy. In this area, that means submerging at least your legs, if not more, into the frigid Colorado River for 10-20 minutes. I admit that this is the first time I’ve been in the river since we moved here. It felt good, though, after the initial shock and my legs were numbed (not totally numb, but more of a lessened pain sensation wherever the water soaked) for at least an hour after. Very cool (no pun intended)
Well, off to school and an Open House this evening…the fun! I think I’ll just take Aly home and spend the rest of the day grading until the parents arrive. I’ve also rented, but not looking forward to (in fact loathing to) watching the new Beowulf film. I’m teaching it and all my students keep mentioning it, so I need to, reluctantly and with protest, know what happens in the film.
No comments:
Post a Comment