Thursday, June 18, 2009

Eye Problems and Pilates

First the problem - my glasses. This all began in March when I had to get a new set of glasses after ruining my old pair.

When getting the eye exam, we worked to get my left eye focused. We couldn’t get it unfuzzy, but got as close to focused as possible. When he uncovered both eyes, I commented on the letters doubling, but he seemed to dismiss this.

When the glasses arrived, the left eye was horrible. I commented again I couldn’t see, but they said to give it a week. If I looked at something far away, like the mountains, it was clear, and if I looked directly at something, it was clear, but everything in my peripheral vision was doubled and distracting; this was especially bad when reading. Luckily around this same time, they said they could buff my old contacts, and we got them working again. On the glasses, I reverted to the old frames in which I could see.

A few weeks ago, after school was out, I went back to get them fixed. Another eye exam, where I said I couldn’t see close up, so we switched to bifocals. When they arrived, I still had the doubled vision. Third try, he brought in a set of lenses that I could modify myself. In the exam, I was finally able to get the left eye sharply focused. When we uncovered the right, it looked great. When the glasses arrived, the left eye is still screwed up! I am trying them for a week, but I really have a hard time understanding on how it was so clear in the exam, and now it is STILL fuzzy. I am about ready to just cough up $50 and have someone else do an exam to see if they can get the numbers right. I’ve spend over $200 on these frames so far and it’s really annoying.

On another track, last week, I did my Pilates class. It was quite fun, but I found out just how weak I’ve gotten. That evening I began not feeling well, and had the stomach flu again. I wasn’t sure what pain was the stomach cramps and what was from the Pilates class. Needless to say, I tried to slept the whole day. This Tuesday, I did a weight training class which focused on the upper body. Again fun, but really felt it the next day. In fact, I can’t straiten either arm very well, but especially the left, which I broke (radial head fracture) a few years ago. I’ve been icing it, which helps. Luckily, I’ll have about a week off when I go to Colorado, and then I’ll give it another shot. I may have to skip the weights class if it has this effect, as I like using my arms.

1 comment:

Creekwalker said...

You might want to go to an opthamologist rather than an optometrist for you next eye exam. There might be something going on in the left eye of optic nerve.