Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Off and running

What happens when the fire-marshal visits your school? They tell you to lower your class sizes.

The class numbers are in flux and I can make so sense of it. I think they are leveling other core classes, which is wrecking havoc in a few of mine. I’ve had a few students dropped from some of my classes only to be added to my biggest class. I’m up to 45 (thankfully there always seems to be a few absences!) but others have it worse. I’ve heard of a class of 48 today, and in another class I heard 75 (ouch!). I’m counting my blessings as of right now that they are well behaved and working with very little disruption (knocking on wood!). I’ve heard rumors of a new English teacher next week…we’ll see!

It’s two weeks in and I still don’t have all the names down. I think that portion of my brain has given up. Actually, I’ve learned the names of several students only to have those ones pulled from my classes. Perhaps I should talk to the counselors and ask them to switch the ones I don’t know. :) Ah, well, I have most of them, with a few more days, I think I’ll get them.

I found out that I won’t be doing the after school tutoring, which I’ve done for the last five years now. I applied and am obviously qualified, but they gave it to the daughter of another teacher/community member. I’ve heard she is also a new teacher at the school. Do I smell nepotism? I’m a little annoyed, because I was looking forward to the money, but since Mike is beginning to scrub (YEA!) I’m not too worried. Well, I guess I have more time to work out!

Speaking of which, I am getting close to running 40 minutes non-stop, which I haven’t been able to do in years. Over the summer, between the other classes, I’ve been putting my time in on the treadmill. That sounds bad…I actually enjoy working on the treadmill at the gym. For one, it has AC and fans. Two, it has TV’s and most of the time I can watch Food Network. And three, I can control my pace and keep track of my workouts easier. (I’ll probably head outside once it cools off)…well, I’ve been trying to walk less and less and on my last workout I walked 3 minutes, ran 18, walked for 2 and ran the rest, and cooled down for 5. I haven’t felt this good in a long time.

Oh and Aly has been doing her countdown to her 18th birthday. Her speaking of “5 days” was not quite as her scary rendition two days ago. She was walking around the house and sneaking up on me saying (in a creepy whisper) “Seven Days!” Quite scary! It would have been even funnier if she had called me (perhaps next time). That would have been absolutely creepy!

No comments: